Residential garages aren’t what they used to be. Over half of the motoring population who own garages no longer park their cars there. As a result, they begin to fill up with clutter, DIY equipment, and gardening tools. Converted garages in London serve a far greater purpose than simply sheltering cars. These home improvement remedies prove helpful in areas where every square foot counts.
Top garage extension builders in London
Good Design & Build
As garage conversion specialists, they have acquired the knowledge and foresight to develop designs and plans that work for each property and client. If planning permission is needed, they offer two separate contracts for the Design and Build stages, so you will sign each as they start.
Good design & Build prepares and submits Thames Water Build Over Agreement, building control applications, and method statements during the pre-build phase. A project manager supervises the project from start to finish. Their work carries insurance-backed warranties, and we put together all necessary certificates. They are also flexible enough to make minor changes when required.
Address: SPACES, 9 Fisher’s Ln, Chiswick, London W4 1RX, United Kingdom
Phone: +44 20 3846 7958
We used GDB in 2021 for a kitchen extension on our Victorian terrace house. We are very happy with the end result. Adrian and his team were our builders and they did an excellent job. The team worked extremely hard through Covid restrictions, supply shortages and bad weather, and finished the job in good time. Despite some initial communication issues with the original project manager, after GDB brought Hadi onto the project, everything was much smoother and even an enjoyable experience.
I would recommend GBD based on the experience we had with them and we would use them again for future builds.
Simply Extend is one of London’s leading house and kitchen extension construction companies that specialise in making home improvement and extension projects as hassle-free and straightforward as possible.
Simply Extend offers fixed prices and all in one package, as well as project management and client-based systems for tracking design and build progress. So you’ll always be entirely up to date with your project, and if you ever have any questions, your project manager will be there to help out.
Phone: +44 800 917 7571
Fantastic construction of a large singe storey rear extension, major house renovation and central heating work. The simply team provided 110% customer care and aftersales help. They were a single point of contact for my project needs, all the way through planning permission, architect’s designs, construction and final touches. I was kept informed of my project’s progress and requirements all the way through. Their online dashboard monitoring was fully transparent and real-time. Really pleased with the final outcome and attention to detail. Reffered them to other family and friends also. Thanks Simply.
Why convert your garage
- It’s economical – the garage is an existing building, which eliminates costs for excavation and walls. Sometimes, you can even save money on the roof.
- Convenience – converting your garage is speedier than building an extension. It is also less disruptive to your everyday home life, separate from the garage.
- It adds value – According to Nationwide, a garage conversion can add between 10% to 20% in value to your property price.
- No sacrifice – unlike house extensions that use your garden space and sometimes cut off natural light, a garage conversion does neither.
- Space for storage, too – if you don’t want to lose out on essential storage space, you can partially convert the garage or build a double-storey garage conversion.
- Amalgamate for more space – if you are building an extension, a simultaneous garage conversion can decide the new floor plan early on. If your garage is attached, you can knock through walls to integrate it with the rest of the house.
- To rent out – a double-storey or a detached garage conversion works as a studio apartment or a small annexe you can rent out.
Garage extensions ideas in London
- Complete integral single garage conversion – if the single garage is attached, you can merge it with the house floor plan by knocking through the connecting wall. It is the simplest and the most cost-effective conversion method.
- Partial garage conversion – allows you to keep the storage space by converting only half the garage space and separating the two with a partition wall. Usually, the rear gets converted while the front remains a storage unit.
- Double garage conversion – offers twice the space of a single garage conversion and options to redesign living spaces. From an en suite double bedroom to a workshop, this type of conversion can free up a lot of space.
- Detached garage conversion – if you have a single or double garage separate from the main house, you can convert it into a self-contained cottage or a granny flat. These might need planning permission.
- Double-storey garage extension – by adding an upper level to the garage, you gain extra space for a studio apartment. It can also become a garden room with livable space upstairs.
Types of garage extensions in London
- Guest quarters – making guests comfortable is not easy when you live in a regular-sized house. Give your guests comfort and privacy by building an en suite and lounge space in the garage.
- Home office – look no further than your garage if you need a home office. With a single garage conversion, you can create a well-proportioned workspace, while a double can bring other amenities such as a lounge room, kitchenette, and media room if your work needs one.
- A home gym/Yoga studio – it’s time to get motivated with spaces that do not discourage you from your fitness regime. Your own space for working out and yoga exercises can help you reach your goals without household disruptions.
- Hobby Room – whether your passion is painting or building model aeroplanes, garage conversions offer the room to get creative.
- Kitchen extension – if your garage is adjacent to the kitchen, knock through the wall to incorporate it into the kitchen for a more spacious kitchen/dining area with an open-plan layout.
- Utility room/WC – it’s a great place to convert as a laundry room, a boot room, and overall utility room with a WC if you do not have a downstairs WC.
- New Living Room – take your guests away from noisy children and an overcrowded living room to a quieter retreat. By connecting it to the kitchen/dining room, you keep your guest-entertaining needs cohesive.
Do you require planning permission for a garage conversion in London?
If you are not enlarging the building and the work is internal, planning permission isn’t required. However, you need planning permission for a garage conversion if it is a separate house.
Converting a garage into a habitable space involves building regulations approval. In addition, your permitted development rights will be affected if your property is a flat or maisonette, listed building, or in a conservation area.
How much does a garage conversion cost in London?
- Single garage conversion in London will cost from £6,000 – £15,000
- A double garage conversion can cost from £12,000 – £30,000
How much your garage conversion will cost in London, will be dependent on several factors such:
- The size of the garage
- The type of garage conversion you opt e.g. a single or double-storey extension
- Whether you plan on removing walls
- Reconfiguring the downstairs layout
- The materials you wish to use